The calendar is about to flip from 2020 to 2021. Whether you’ve been in goal-planning mode for weeks or are just getting to this task, we’ve got some tips to help increase your success when setting 2021 funeral home marketing goals.
1. Set SMART Goals
SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Based. Here’s what that means for funeral home marketing goals:
- Be specific. “We want to grow the business,” is not specific. “We want to increase how many funerals we perform year over year” or “We want to increase revenue by 10%” are examples of specific goals.
- Set a measurement. You can measure revenue in dollars received and conversion rates as a percentage of people who contact you after landing on your site, for example. If you can’t measure your progress toward a goal, it’s not a great goal.
- Be realistic. Doubling your revenue year-over-year without opening a new funeral home or launching new service lines isn’t likely to be realistic.
- Ensure goals relate to business. With online marketing, it’s easy to set goals for goals’ sake, but each target should relate to the business bottom line in some way.
- Include a time deadline. You want to do something by the end of the quarter, for example.
2. Leave Room for Flexibility
If 2020 taught us anything, it’s that “you never know.” The fact that the future can throw obstacles at us we might never even have thought of is no excuse to skip business and marketing goal setting.
Just leave room for flexibility and have a backup plan. For example, you might set a goal to publish two blog posts a week. However, if you find out that blog posts aren’t doing much good in your marketing strategy, you will need a backup plan for other types of content investments you can try.
3. Get Input from SMEs
Goals should never be set in a vacuum. Involve your funeral home team and reach out to agencies and freelancers that help you with advertising and marketing. Together, you can create stronger SMART goals that are realistic but challenging. These are the types of goals that help businesses grow.