TikTok was the seventh-most downloaded app of the last decade, and its popularity in recent years has grown exponentially. But does that mean home improvement firms should flock to this social media app for marketing purposes?
Before you decide about home improvement marketing on TikTok, it’s a good idea to know the demographics:
- Almost 60% of TikTok’s user base as of 2019 was in China, though growth in the U.S. has skyrocketed in the past two years.
- Instagram, WhatsApp, YouTube, Facebook, and Facebook Messenger still beat out TikTok when it comes to number of users.
- By June 2020, around 130 million U.S. users had downloaded the app; TikTok alleged in a lawsuit in August 2020 that 100 million of those users were regularly active on the network.
- The bulk of TikTok users are aged 10 to 29 — roughly 62% of U.S. users fit this age range.
- Around 30% of TikTok users are aged 30 to 49.
Potential Benefits of TikTok Marketing
As you can see, the audience on TikTok is relatively young. The bulk are not homeowners yet, but that doesn’t mean home improvement companies don’t have an audience here. TikTok’s young audience is aging up quickly, which means getting in the door early might lead to better brand loyalty and recognition in the future.
TikTok’s regular users are also highly engaged. They spend an average minimum of 40 minutes a day on the platform. Plus, TikTok videos are low cost and easy to make, and you can share them across other platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
Whether or not you delve into TikTok marketing depends on your business needs, resources, and marketing budget. If you have some time to test this growing social media option, it might be worth doing so. But if you have to give up marketing on proven networks like Facebook or Instagram to fold TikTok in, you may want to skip it for now.