Fashions come and go in the window industry, and what you know today might not help you win customers tomorrow. The same is true when it comes to local SEO. Ensure online home improvement marketing efforts generate ROI by keeping up with trends, including the three below.
1. Voice search continues to grow.
“Siri, where can I get custom blinds?” It’s not science fiction: Today’s reality is populated with pocket virtual assistants that can feed you information whether you’re looking for the best Japanese steakhouse in town or need someone to touch up your window decor.
And by 2020, voice search will account for 50% of search engine queries. Home improvement companies that aren’t preparing for this trend now will lose out. Start by:
- Using conversational language on your site: Consider how people talk when they search for relevant information.
- Including voice keywords in your content: People will type “window coverings in Billings,” but they will say, “Where can I buy coverings for my windows in town?”
- Write for the featured snippet: Ask a question and answer it in 25 to 40 words. This helps you score the Google Answer Box, which voice search devices love because personal assistants like Siri can read these short answers to the user.
2. Getting your name mentioned online is important.
Google considers mentions of your brand or company name when it ranks your pages for search results. The more your name crops up on other trustworthy websites, the more trust Google thinks the market has for you. And since Google wants to serve up the most relevant, helpful, and authoritative results, being deemed trustworthy is a good thing.
Home improvement companies can get their name mentioned online by:
- Creating informative content people want to share
- Joining local and industry organizations
- Participating in local events or supporting local charities
- Offering to provide quotes as a home improvement expert for other people’s content
3. Local search is more targeted than ever.
Google says proximity searches with an intent to buy—such as “buy window blinds near me”—increased a whopping 500 percent between 2017 and 2019. And consumers are increasingly looking online first, even when they plan to visit a local business.
Increase the chance that you show up for those consumers with local SEO efforts such as:
- Claiming all the citations you can, including GMB and social media profiles, and ensuring your NAP data (name, address, and phone number) is consistent across each
- Publishing location-relevant information on your website; think neighborhood-level rather than city level, especially in large metro areas
- Go hyperlocal when possible by mentioning specific landmarks or even streets
Keeping up with trends isn’t always easy. For home improvement companies working hard to keep up with window fashions or other niche concepts, local SEO trends may not be top priority. Instead of pushing this critical effort to the back burner, consider partnering with professionals who know how to market your company online.