You know Google reviews can boost your website in the search engine results, but how do you encourage more reviews? Home improvement companies can ask for reviews from their customers in a variety of ways, as long as they follow Google’s rules.
Options for soliciting reviews include:
- Having individuals in the field say, “If you’re satisfied with my work, please consider leaving a review on Google.”
- Including your review link on any emails or invoices sent to the customer.
- Conducting follow-up phone calls to check on the status of any upgrades and asking for a review at that time.
But failure to abide by Google guidelines can result in censure, including the loss of all existing Google reviews—and a potentially related drop in page traffic and rank.
If you want to make Google reviews part of your online home improvement marketing efforts, here are some rules to keep in mind:
- Don’t solicit reviews in bulk; if you send emails asking for reviews, make them specific to each customer.
- Don’t review your own business or have employees or friends who haven’t used your services write reviews on your behalf.
- Do encourage honest reviews from customers.
- Don’t use language that specifically attempts to discourage negative reviews in your requests.
- Don’t encourage reviews with anything that might be considered essentially a bribe, such as money, discounts, or contests.
These are rules for Google reviews. Every review platform has its own guidelines, and not all sites encourage you to solicit reviews. (Yelp, for example, specifically prohibits businesses from review solicitation.) Make sure you know what the specific rules are before you integrate any review site into your home improvement marketing strategy.
And remember: One of the best ways to garner online reviews is to continuously provide stellar service and products to homeowners. If they remember you fondly when looking at their windows or other upgrades, they’re more likely to leave a positive review.
(Note: Monitoring your business’s online reputation is a requirement for success in the digital age. Try our free Review Scan now for an instant reputation report on your business.)